Business Intelligence Links
There are lots of blogs and websites that speaks their actual experiences with different BI Applications, Databases and Data Warehousing Tools. If you want an aggregated view, I suggest visiting BI BLOGS.
Here are a select few blogs from different BI application users in the market today:
1. Steve Nagoski - Business Objects Enterprise BI Platforms.
2. InfoCaptop - Oracle Business Intelligence Discoverer.
3. Marco Russo - SQL Server Analysis Services 2005.
4. Patrick Husting - Office Business Scorecard Manager 2005
5. Ian Tien - Business Scorecard Manager 2005
6. Chris Webb - Microsoft BI
Open Source Solutions for your Business Intelligence, Database, Data Warehousing needs:
Open Source Database
1. Derby - relational DB done entirely in Java.
2. EnterpriseDB - RDBMS, PostgreSQL, compatible with Oracle apps.
3. Firebird - relational DB offering many ANSI SQL standard features.
4. Ingres - OS independent relational DB.
5. MySQL - the most popular open source database.
6. PostgreSQL - enterprise and secure relational database.
7. Sleepycat - a relational DB that has a library with a programatic API. (Acquired by Oracle on Feb 14, 2006)
Open Source ETL
1. Pequel ETL - Comprehensive & high performance data processing/transform system done in Perl/C.
2. Clover ETL - Java based ETL framework which can be used to transform structured data.
3. CpluSQL - distributed ETL tool extracts and transforms row based data from databases and flat files.
4. Enhydra Octopus - Java based ETL framework that connect to JDBC Sources and transforms them to XML file.
5. JetStream - Java Extraction Transformation Service for Transmitting Records & Exchanging Application Metadata: a Java-based ETL/EAI tool.
6. KETL on Bizgres - Kinetic ETL, created by KineticNetworks.
7. KETTLE - LGPL License ETL tool that utilizes XML and generates its own SQL queries.
8. openDigger - java based compiler for the xETL language.
Open Source Reporting Tools
1. Agata Report - cross-platform database reporting tool with graph generation and a query tool that allows you to get data from PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite, Oracle, DB2, MS-SQL, Informix, InterBase, Sybase, or Frontbase and export that data as PostScript, plain text, HTML, XML, PDF, or spreadsheet (CSV) formats through its GUI.
2. DataVision - written in Java, very similar to Crystal Reports that uses drag and drop functionality to get data from and data that uses JDBC and export that data as HTML, XML, PDF, LaTeX2e, DocBook, or tab- or comma-delimited text files.
3. Jasper - Java reporting tool that has the ability to deliver rich content onto the screen, to the printer or into PDF, HTML, XLS, CSV and XML files.
4. OpenReports - flexible web based reporting solution that uses JasperReports.
5. OpenRPT - a graphical report writer and rendering engine and the first fully cross-platform SQL report writer.
Open Source BI Suite
1. BEE Project - BI Suite of tools ideal for mid size companies that has 50GB or less of data. It has ETL and uses ROLAP and is under the GPL license.
2. Bizgres - a "distribution" of PostgreSQL with add-on tools, such as JDBC, the JavaLoader, autovacuum and the Configurator, and others for easy BI and DW use.
3. Greenplum - first open source powered database server that can scale to support multi-terabyte data warehousing demands.
4. MarvelIT - open source Business Intelligence solution based on the Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal and the popular OpenReports reporting application.
5. OpenI - simple web application that does out-of-box OLAP reporting
6. Pentaho - enterprise-class reporting, analysis, dashboard, data mining and workflow capabilities.
7. SpagoBI - complete suite for the development of Business Intelligence that covers data and metadata organization, static reporting and dimensional analysis, hidden information discovering by means of data mining techniques, the building of a structured and dynamic control suite with dashboard components.
8. Palo - GPL Licensed MOLAP reporting that easily integrates various MS Excel. Ideal if your company is working heavily on Microsoft Excel.
Open Source BI Suite
1. Eclipse BIRT - open source, Eclipse-based reporting system that integrates with your application to produce compelling reports for both web and PDF.
2. EFEU -
3. JpGraph -
4. PostgreSQL MDDB -
Open Source Data Modeling
Gilbert on Wednesday, February 22, 2006